The Blubrry Powerpress plugin for WordPress version 0.5.0 is now available. The latest version incorporates a number of bug fixes as well as some minor enhancements. The latest version may be downloaded here.
- Options to report media duration and file size next to download links.
- Added <itunes:author> and <itunes:subtitle> to header portion of podcast feeds by default.
- Added <itunes:summary> to post items by default.
- Quotes and extra spaces are no longer removed from from the <itunes:summary> fields.
- Player auto-play bug fixed when quicktime media mixed with non-quicktime media.
- Added option to ping iTunes in a new browser window in settings.
- Verify flash player check added. The check is only necessary if your in-page player no longer appears on your site after upgrading Blubrry Powerpress. (WordPress built in plugin update may corrupt the flash player. This bug in WordPress is fixed in the soon to be released version 2.7)
- Media URL now displays a warning if the URL contains characters which may cause problem for some applications.
The addition of the Media URL warning was in response to issues many podcasters have been having when they publish episodes with file names that contain spaces and other special characters. Spaces and special characters such as apostrophes, # and ? may prevent some web sites and podcasting applications from downloading the media. We recommend only using letters, numbers, dashes and underscores for your file names for maximum compatibility. Users may ignore the warning message if they so desire.
We are committed to providing a well developed and mature podcasting plugin for WordPress. Please leave a comment below or contact us with your thoughts, comments or suggestions.